The national champion Boise State speech and debate team finished its 2013-2014 conference season with a dominating win at the Scheller Invitational at Pacific University in Portland, Ore., Jan. 24-26. The Talkin’ Broncos took first place overall in both the conference and the tournament.
- In public debate, Lauren Bramwell (senior, St. Anthony), Mark Galaviz (junior, Mesa, Ariz.), and Jordan Brady (junior, Boise) closed out final rounds and received the top three awards.
- Brianna Dyer (sophomore, Caldwell) went undefeated for all five preliminary rounds and all three final rounds in novice public debate to take the first-place award. Norm Miller (junior, Boise) was a semi-finalist in junior public debate along with Brandon Sams (freshman, Mountain Home) who was a semi-finalist in novice public debate.
- KayCee Babb (junior, Weiser) finished as a quarter-finalist in open public debate, Casey McManus (junior, McCall) finished as a quarter-finalist in junior public debate and Fred Swanstrum (sophomore, Kuna) finished as an octo-finalist in junior public debate.
- Boise state took top speaker awards in debate, with Bramwell in first place, Galaviz in second place, Miller and Sams in fourth place, Swanstrum in sixth place, Babb in seventh place and McManus in eighth place.
- Alishia Jonas (junior, Meridian) received the seventh-place speaker award in junior public debate.
- Brady led the Talkin’ Broncos in scoring with a first-place finish in junior extemporaneous speaking, third-place in both communication analysis and interpretation of poetry and fourth place in duo interpretation. He also finished second place overall in the conference.
- Bramwell took first place in prose interpretation, third place in duo interpretation, fourth place in poetry interpretation and sixth place in program oral interpretation.
- Dalton Hellman (senior, Canby, Ore.) took first place in extemporaneous speaking, fifth place in informative speaking and seventh place in impromptu speaking.
- Swanstrum took first place in editorial commentary and second place in persuasive speaking.
- Jonas took first place in both junior impromptu speaking and junior persuasive speaking and sixth place in junior informative speaking.
- Taylor Ashe (sophomore, Star), who was named the top junior speaker at the tournament, took second place in junior prose interpretation, third place in both dramatic interpretation and poetry interpretation and fifth place in informative speaking.
- Derlin Hammon (freshman, Meridian) was named the top novice speaker at the tournament. He took first place in novice informative speaking and fifth place in junior extemporaneous speaking, junior dramatic interpretation and novice prose.
- Cyndi Kerr (junior, Attleboro, Mass.) took first place in junior dramatic interpretation and sixth place in junior program oral interpretation.
- Alex Floate (freshman, Meridian) took first place in junior informative speaking. Sams took first place in junior communication analysis.
Other top competitors:
- Brittany Clark (junior, Kuna) took second place in program oral interpretation, third place in duo interpretation, fifth place in prose and sixth place in after-dinner speaking
- Galaviz took second place in poetry and fourth place in duo interpretation, prose interpretation and dramatic interpretation
- Babb took third place in editorial commentary, fourth place in both after-dinner speaking and persuasive speaking and sixth place in informative speaking
- McManus took sixth place in junior extemporaneous speaking
- Lauren Peña (freshman, Meridian) took second place in novice extemporaneous speaking and fifth place in novice impromptu speaking
- Dyer took second-place in novice persuasive speaking
The Talkin’ Broncos continue on to the regional championship in Twin Falls on March 8 and then to the team’s first national-level tournament in Indianapolis on March 21. The Talkin’ Broncos are the 2013 Pi Kappa Delta national champions in speech and debate and are supported in part through the generosity of the Jeker Family Trust. For more information about the Talkin’ Broncos, contact Hicks email@example.com.