Bogus Basin’s early season season-pass sale starts Monday, Feb. 18, and for the first time in 15 years, the price of the season pass is going up.
The price increased from $199 to $229.
The increase is needed to maintain basic mountain operations, said Alan Moore, Bogus Basin CEO.
“Everything has gone up from Diesel fuel to seasonal labor to operation of the high-speed quads since the $199 pass was introduced,” Moore said. “We need a little extra to pay the bills.”
In addition to making the decision to raise the price, Moore said, Bogus has had to deal with “not an over abundance of snow” this season. It has affected attendance, which is currently at 85 percent of normal.
Bogus also had snow troubles during the 2011-2012 season and had its latest opening ever.
As a result, the ski area offered current season passholders the $199 season pass for $179 during the traditional Presidents’ Day week sale in 2012.
Attendance might have been worse this season if it hadn’t been for the inversion in the Treasure Valley. Skiers and snowboarders kept coming to the mountain to escape the inversion and enjoy blue skies and warm temperatures.
“People on the deck at the JR Simplot Lodge looked like they thought they were in the Bahamas,” Moore said.
To continue to keep people coming to the mountain, Moore said, the ski area is trying to make the price increase as slim as possible so as not to price out families.
• The traditional Presidents’ Day week sale is Monday, Feb. 18 to Sunday, Feb. 24.
• Current non-pass holdersbuy the 2013-2014 pass now and use it for the rest of the current season.
• To buy a pass, go to bogusbasin.org, the downtown office, 2600 Bogus Basin Road, or call 332-5162.
Price will change
• Feb. 18-Feb. 24: $229, individuals (12-69); $916, families; $59, 7 to 11; free, preschool/seniors (6 and under and 70 and older).
• Feb. 25-March 31: $259, individuals; $1,036, families; $59, 7 to 11; free, preschool/seniors.
• April 1-Sept. 30: $299, individuals; $1,196, families; $59, 7 to 11; free, preschool/seniors.
• Oct. 1-Nov. 30: $389, individuals; $1,556, families; $59, 7 to 11; free, preschool/seniors.
• Dec. 1-during season: $429, individuals; $1,716, families; $59, 7 to 11; free, preschool/seniors.