The Ada County Historic Preservation Council is now accepting nominations for the 2013 Ada County Treasure Awards.
This year’s County Treasure Awards theme is ‘150 Years’ in preparation for the Ada County Sesquicentennial in 2014. Nominations should include structures, sites or areas which were of importance or had a significant presence 150 years ago.
For nearly a decade, the Historic Preservation Council has honored historic sites in various parts of the county through the County Treasure Awards program. Past recipients include the Bown House, Orchard Water Tower, Boise Diversion Dam, the Log Cabin Literary Center, the Urick Farmstead, and in 2012, Al Bolin was honored for his service to the Ada County Historic Preservation Council.
The Historic Preservation Council works to raise awareness about historic buildings and landmarks, so they will be preserved as a part of county history for future generations to enjoy. Properties may be nominated for consideration by members of the public, the property owner, or by any local government organization or local special interest group. Nominated properties/structures must meet the following criteria:
- Structures must be more than 50 years old
- Properties/structures must be located in Ada County, with a preference in unincorporated Ada County, or must be related to the county’s rural history, government history or early infrastructure
- The property/structure should exhibit uniqueness, and must still be serviceable or in reasonably well preserved condition
- Property/structure must be visible from public access areas, and property owner cooperation is essential
- Properties/structures must have historic significance (properties which are listed on the National Register of Historic Places or Ada County historic resource inventories will likely qualify). To see the Ada County historic resource inventories, visit the Historic Preservation Council website (viawww.adaweb.net) and click on Historic Site Inventories.
- The deadline to submit County Treasure Award nominations is April 1, 2013. Please send nominations to Ada County Historic Preservation Council, Attn: Richard Beck, 200 W. Front Street, Boise, ID 83702, or contact Richard Beck email@example.com or 287-7900.
Award recipients will be announced at the May 8, 2013, Board of Ada County Commissioners Hearing, in honor of Idaho Archaeology and Historic Preservation Month.